Inspired by his father Sri B.S. Sukumar who is a drummer, Arun ventured into the field of Percussion music at the tender age of 7. Later he received Carnatic percussion training under Sri S. V. Giridhar, advanced training in percussion under the rich guidance of eminent artiste Layakala Pratibhamani Sri Anoor Ananthakrishna Sharma and is presently learning the subtleties of Jazz drumming under renowed drummer Sri Ranjit Barot.
He plays the western drums, morsing and several Indian folk percussions. He has been in the field of music since 1986 and rendered percussion support to Carnatic Classical, Talavadya, Jazz Music, Light Music and dance performances. He has given performances all over India and has extensively toured USA, UK, Canada, Germany, Holland, France, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Belgium, Spain, Luxemburg Hong Kong and Sri Lanka.
- Released his album "Thandava ", A Galaxy of Drums, in the year 2000.
- Was interviewed by AIR Bangalore, about pioneering ventures in the field of music.
- Has rendered percussion support to eminent Carnatic classical musicians.
- Is performing with renowned Jazz guitarist from India - Amit Heri.
- Is a part of Ghatam exponent Vidwan Karthik's music troupe.
- Performed with many leading film music directors and presently working with Padmashri S. P. Balasubramanyam.
- Has rendered percussion support to eminent dancers like Hema Malini, Prathibha Prahlad, Padmini Ravi, Swapna Sundari, Nirupama and Rajendra.
- Was awarded the coveted Ananya Yuva Puraskara for the year 2003 as "Best percussionist of the year"
- Eindeovn University, Eindeovn, The Netherlands
- World Music Centre (Rasa) Utrecht, The Netherlands
- ICCR Hall, Berlin, Germany
- Congress Hall, Berlin, Germany
- Tropical Institute, Amsterdam
- Barcelona Festival, Spain
- Europe yoga Conference at Zinal, Switzerland
- Barbican Centre (with the group- Strings of India), London
- Golden Jublilee Celebrations of Indian Independence at Zoeteermeer and Alsmeer, The Netherlands