Shri Chaluvaraju started learning karnatic classical instrument Mrudangam at a very tender age of 7 under Vidwan Shri Shrinivas of Bangalore and later underwent a rigrious training under the tutelage of renowed Murdangist Vidwan Late.C Subbu of Bangalore.
He is ‘A top artist of All India Radio(A.I.R)and Doordarshan,Bangalore. He worked in Health and Family Welfare office for 29 years under Karnataka Government.
EXPERIENCE AS AN ACCOMPANYING ARTIST ON MRUDANGAM :
He started his career as an accompanist at the age of eleven. He has given numerous performance in all leading Sangeetha Sabhas in India and Abroad. He has accompanied artist of National and International repute like Dr.M.Balamurali Krishna, Jesudas, Rajkumar Bharathi, Unni Krishna, Mandolin Srinivas, Ganakalabhushana Saxophone Kadri Gopalnath, V.Ramachandra, T.V.Shankarnarayan, Flute Vidwan Ramani, Sangeetha Kalanidhi Vidwan R.K.Srikantan, Vidwan Lagudi Jayaraman, Kumaresh and Ganesh, Ganakalabhushana Vidwan R.K.Padmanabh, Vidwan Late P.Bhuvaneshwaraiah, Veena Vidwan Padmavibhushana late Dr.V. Doreswamy Iyengar,Flute Vidwan Late T.R. Mahalingam ,Ganakala shri Vidushi M.S.Shela,Karanataka Kalashri Vidwan S.Shankar, Vidushi Parashala Ponamal, Sangeetha Kalanidhi Vidwan Nedunuri Krishnamurthy, Ustad Amzad Ali Khan and many more.
PROGRAMS ABROAD :
In 1978 he toured Germany and Switzerland as an accompanying artist on Mrudangam. Late again on a special invitation in 1988 he visited Germany, Italy ,France and Switzerland. His performance were highly appreciated by the public and during this period a private recording company recorded his mrudangam and was later released as a compact disk. By his spellbound performance,music lovers in Germany and Switzerland invited him every year from 1990 to 1995 for mrudangam solo performance in 1995 he toured Germany accompanying Veena artist Vidushi Shanthi Roa. During this period he gave “Konnakol”(An art of vocal percussion ) performance which was highly acclaimed by music lovers and audience referred to him as “Indian Scotchman”(A famous pop singer of America).He has recently played a fantabulous concert at Muscat(Middle East) by R.K.Padmanabha,and was very much appreciated for his master piece performance at a Gulf country. Nateshwara Acadamy of music and dance Switzarland. Shri Cheluvaraju is one of the only Indian percussionists to participate in the World “Masters Festival in Arts & Culture”in the field of Indian music held at Seol, Republic of Korea on 25th July,2007.During this he gave numerous performance across Korea. He was specially invited for a concert by Indian Ambassador of Korea at the Indian Embassy,Korea, The association of the World Mater for the Exchange of Arts & Culture in Korea, lauded him for his exhilarating performance and conferred upon him the title ”World Master in Arts & culture”. He has also accompanied Veena Vidwan A.Shakar Raman at Bangkok during year 2005.
AS AN ACCOMPANIST DURING JUGALBANDHI PROGRAMS :
He has accompanied in jugalbandhi programs of Vidwan R.K.Srikantan and Pandit Ramroa Nayak,Vidwan R.K.Padmanbha and Nagaraj Hawaldar which was highly appreciated by the public.He has accompanied Sarod Maestro Ustad Amjad Ali Khan during “Bangalore Habba” at Bangalore palace ground and again during the centenary celebrations of Canara Bank,Bangalore and was lauded by the Maestro and media.
AT ALL INDIA RADIO NATIONAL PROGRAMES :
During national music Festival conducted by All Indian Radio(A.I.R) at national level,he has accompanied many artist such as Vidushi R.A.Ramamani,Vidushi Shantha Narsimhan,Vidwan K.G.Ramaswamy,Veena Vidushi Bhagyalakshmi Chandrashekhar and Bombay Sister.He has also accompanied Bombay Sister for C.P.C. recording ,New Delhi
e title ”World Master in Arts & culture”. He has also accompanied Veena Vidwan A.Shakar Raman at Bangkok during year 2005.
HONOURS AND TITLES :
1. As a mark of recognition for his achievements, experience and service rendered in the genre of Mrudangam, Karnataka Ganakala Parishath(a leading organization in conducting music festival ,seminars and workshop on music at Bangalore)conferred upon him the title as “Ganakalashree” in year 1996 and in the same year he was elected as the Honorable President for “Young Music Festival For The Year”. This was the first time a percussion artist was ever given such a chance and honor by the Parishath.
2. He was then honored as “Asthan Vidwan” by Sossale Vyasaraj Mutt.
3. He has been awarded with the title as “Kala Jothi” by Sri Durgaparameshwari Nritya Niketan School.
4. He has received the title has “Talavadya Chatura” by Raghavendra Swamy Mutt, Bangalore.
5. “Nada Chitamani” by the Gayana Samaja, Chintamani.
6. He was honored and was given the title as “Sangeetha Kala Thapasvi” by Vidushi Nagavali Nagrag.
7. He was honored by ‘Gayana Mandira’ at Kaniara Seva Samaja for their 75th anniversary.
8. He was also honored by ‘Sree Sai Sangeetha Trust’.
9. He was also honored and given the as title as “Mandya Mrudanga Bhrama”.
10. He as received many more titles such as “Talavadya Visharada”, “Layavadya Bhushana”, “Nada Shiromani” at Switzerland, “Nada Shree”etc.
11. He was honoured by ‘Purandara,Thayagaraja and Vaidyakara Aradana Utasava Samite’ at Mysore has give the title “Sageetha Kala Thapasvi” by Vidwan Bellari Vekataschar.
12. Prapancha(The world of Music ) has honoured and given the title has “Sangeetha kala Rathna” by Vidwan B.Shankar Rao.
13. ‘Sri Sangeetha Ganapathi Devalaya Samethi,Bangalore’ has honored in the occasion of Thagaraja Aradana in the year 2009.
14. ‘Sri Rama Seva Mandeli’ has honored in the same year.
15. He has received the title “Ganayagna Deekshitaru” on 3rd januarary,2012. By Ganakalabhushna Vid.R.K.Padmanadha on the occasion of Srimadvadiraja Kalamahotsava.
AS A TEACHER :
A part from teaching at his residence in the tradition gurukula style, he has around 20 student purusing Mrudagam under his tutelage at Germany and Switerzland. He is a visiting professor at “Bangalore University” in the department of music.
AFFILIATIONS TO MUSIC SCHOOL AND SABHAS :
He is one of the founding trustees and the secretary of “Ganagruha Academy Of Music And Dance”. With the support of the trustees and members of the organization, he is actively involved in arranging music festivals and seminars on the percussive arts all over Karnataka. He has encouraged many budding artist by providing a platform for them, and giving them a good exposure on stage performance.